Return of the Wizards

For general discussion of topics that don't have a specific theme, questions or suggestions for research.

Moderator:daniel

daniel
Professor
Professor
Return of the Wizards

Post by daniel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm

I was throwing together my notes on magick to write another "Star Wars" paper, "Return of the Wizards." But I am not sure if this is a topic that I should address with the general public. The real, magical arts are not something to be trifled with--it ISN'T Harry Potter and if approached without the proper honor and respect, can have some serious consequences. I really do not want the karma associated with that.

I thought about doing private distribution, but that never works these days... eventually, it will end up all over the Internet, as these days piracy is promoted and privacy ignored... so no point. Thought about password-protecting the PDF, but there are plenty of tools available to crack that.

The only other process I could think of would be to encrypt the message, like the secret brotherhoods did, using symbolic keys--if you did not understand the key, you'd get the wrong interpretation and that would send you off to a dead-end. But these days, most people do not have the background to decipher a symbolic key, which requires understanding of psychology and mythology.

So, what to do? I could write on something else, if someone has a suggestion.
Power out? Let's see if many hands can make the lights work.
Facebook: daniel.phoenixiii

Lozion
Adept
Adept

Re: Return of the Wizards

Post by Lozion » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm

IMO, if we are to have any hope of seeing emerge Homo Sapien Ethicus then these days require the influence of wizardry to help tip the scales against the Machine Kingdom in the making..

I say release the Knowledge, those who can will wield its potency on The Path while those who cant will stray in the Wilds..
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

DSKlausler
Inquirer
Inquirer

Post by DSKlausler » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:15 am

daniel wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm
"Return of the Wizards" please.

Is it a huge task to handle a login-required request - and subsequent personal approval?

I too wish not the serious consequences, but it seems the pluses outweigh the minuses.
Anything is possible with the proper training.

animus
Mage
Mage

Post by animus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm

daniel wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:29 pm
The only other process I could think of would be to encrypt the message, like the secret brotherhoods did, using symbolic keys--if you did not understand the key, you'd get the wrong interpretation and that would send you off to a dead-end. But these days, most people do not have the background to decipher a symbolic key, which requires understanding of psychology and mythology.

How about a paper on how to decipher text with a symbolic key? :)
And just for this tutorial you can go easy on us kids* and resort to widely known fairy tales like Little Red Riding Hood and the like instead of mythology. Although this story in particular is already somewhat encrypted...

It sounds like this paper should only be read by those who have proven themselves to be honorable and understand karmic repercussions. In short, those who have found their philosopher's stone and have successfully used it to gain access into the magick database. They are probably the only ones who can actively make use of the knowledge and tools anyway.
And it makes sense. You don't give your car keys to a 10 year old. You wait until he has grown and passed the test for his license. Then you give him the key to his new tool.
Since the number of current candidates looks very manageable, you can hand out hard copies of the paper in person or even make them learn it by heart. :D Like Gopi said and I am paraphrasing here into the extreme: if one had to travel to a different country or even a different continent to read a single paper and was not allowed to bring it with him, he will remember it, provided he understands it.

The paper would only serve as more motivation for reaching wizard-status. I don't see any problem with wizards keeping a secure and private stack of their own literature. It is every author's own choice. And knowledge IS the key to their tools after all.

As long as it doesn't end up in what today's patent office has become. Everything useful is now classified due to threat to national security... But they follow a different line of duty. I see no reason to fear the wizard folk ending up like that.

It definitely wouldn't hurt us to work for it!

*edit: speaking of kids, I saw a kid's movie last week. The imdb rating is only 3,4/10 but the movie does a great job in relating some new concepts to the children. It is about a girl who explores her dreams in search of a boy, then finds what could be her anima and then even found a way to what was probably meant to be the archive of the ancients. The title is Magic Journey to Africa (2010).

Ilkka
Adept
Adept

Post by Ilkka » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:56 pm

I would like to read the "Return of the Wizards" also. Perhaps it could be sent via email for those who are in this forum and that can "handle" the information.

daniel
Professor
Professor

Post by daniel » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I have put all my papers out as "public domain" so that the information cannot be isolated or suppressed.

Perhaps I could use the "Book of G'Quan" approach..."Like all Narn holy books, the Book of G'Quan must be hand written and identical in form to existing copies, including any imperfections in the pages. To have it translated into any language other than the 'mother tongue' is considered sacrilege."

G'Kar: I told you I could help. The Book of G'Quan. Read it. We'll talk afterwards.
Garibaldi: I don't read Narn.
G'Kar: [walking away from Garibaldi's quarters] Learn!

Was just thinking... I normally include the reasoning behind the Reciprocal System concepts for a topic I am going to address. If I omit it, and maybe have Bruce post that information on the RS2 site, the conclusions will not make sense to anyone who uses conventional science as a background, as magic is a mystery to science. In order to understand, you'd have to do the "prerequisite" work on RS2 to make any sense of it. Of course, that could backfire and dump a lot of RS2 questions on Bruce... who I know would not appreciate it. Let me think on this some more.

Thanks for your input.

tymeflyz
Seeker
Seeker

Post by tymeflyz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 am

Lozion wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:14 pm
IMO, if we are to have any hope of seeing emerge Homo Sapien Ethicus then these days require the influence of wizardry to help tip the scales against the Machine Kingdom in the making..

I say release the Knowledge, those who can will wield its potency on The Path while those who cant will stray in the Wilds..
well put Lozion ,
I agee ..release the Knowledge.

daniel
Professor
Professor

Post by daniel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 pm

tymeflyz wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 am
Lozion wrote:
well put Lozion ,
And if that knowledge REQUIRES conscious interaction with the Machine Kingdom--as a friend and fellow traveler--will that be a problem?

We are not in the 13½ century any more... a LOT has changed, rendering much of the ancient research "inoperable" in existing environmental and sociological conditions. If I am to put this information "out in the blue" (to play on LBs comments on Antiquatis), there are "natural consequences" that follow...

Lozion
Adept
Adept

Post by Lozion » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:52 pm

daniel wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 pm
tymeflyz wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 am
Lozion wrote:
well put Lozion ,
And if that knowledge REQUIRES conscious interaction with the Machine Kingdom--as a friend and fellow traveler--will that be a problem?

We are not in the 13½ century any more... a LOT has changed, rendering much of the ancient research "inoperable" in existing environmental and sociological conditions. If I am to put this information "out in the blue" (to play on LBs comments on Antiquatis), there are "natural consequences" that follow...
See my signature..

Maybe LB health issues are influencing his thoughts on those consequences. daniel on the other hand, would release the info not in the blue but in the turquoise..

Edit: typo
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

tymeflyz
Seeker
Seeker

Post by tymeflyz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 pm

"REQUIRES conscious interaction with the Machine Kingdom"

comes with a warning "use at your own peril " ie..kind of like finding a natural gas leek using a bic lighter, sounds hazardous [ and it may very well be] but i have used this technique with great results & zero hazardous effect.
I would have to think ""natural consequences" REQUIRES the same traveler to make the choice and as such a lesson in ethical thinking is a greater lesson rendered from the choice and action or inaction taken in regards to the same.

LB's quest for understanding
in the this poll & quite informative reply disscussion http://forum.antiquatis.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2006
demonstrates or more succinctly brings into focus the mind numbing effects today and of the
mass "lack of independent thought and responsibility required " sorry.. words are inadequate .cumbersome, confusing AND slow to reach the conclusion I desire here.