Time and Timelines

Time, timelines, the 3D temporal landscape... research into the physics involved, how to understand it and make use of it to improve the quality of our lives, and all the life on Earth.

Moderator:daniel

Lotus
Seeker
Seeker
Re: Time and Timelines

Post by Lotus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:30 am

Djchrismac wrote:
daniel wrote:And that's when it hit me: curiosity overcomes fear. You only have fear if you have an "unknown" to be afraid of.
And that's why we have the saying "curiosity killed the cat"...!!
My mother ends that phrase with "...but satisfaction brought it back."

daniel
Professor
Professor

Post by daniel » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Djchrismac wrote:And that's why we have the saying "curiosity killed the cat"...!!
Hey, everything you know is backwards... The cat killed curiosity, and now just sleeps in the sunbeam all day.
Power out? Let's see if many hands can make the lights work.
Facebook: daniel.phoenixiii

Djchrismac
Adept
Adept

Post by Djchrismac » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:09 pm

daniel wrote:Hey, everything you know is backwards... The cat killed curiosity, and now just sleeps in the sunbeam all day.
Hahaha that figures, having owned cats when I was young!
Curiosity killed the cat
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_killed_the_cat

This article is about the proverb. For other uses, see Curiosity killed the cat (disambiguation).
A curious kitten.

"Curiosity killed the cat" is a proverb used to warn of the dangers of unnecessary investigation or experimentation. A less frequently-seen rejoinder to "curiosity killed the cat" is "but, satisfaction brought it back".[1]

The original form of the proverb, now little used, was "Care killed the cat". In this instance, "care" was defined as "worry" or "sorrow."
This site has a bit more than the Wiki article:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/curi ... e-cat.html

Meaning
Inquisitiveness can lead one into dangerous situations.
I translate that as "inquire about the truth in anything and you will upset the establishment!"
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

joeyv23
Mage
Mage

Post by joeyv23 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Just saw this posted by a friend on the FB machine... I distinctly remember this, with the spelling S-T-E-I-N, rather than what the internet is lying to me and asserting that it's S-T-A-I-N..
About a year ago, Jan Berenstein passed on, as had Stan some time before. And appearing in headlines across the internet, I saw "Jan Berenstain Dies at 88".

BerenstAin.

They misspelled her name. In her obituary. Gosh, that's really just morbidly embarrassing. "Berenstain" doesn't even make sense.
When I caught this, I decided to send a correction about the article title. Jan Berenstein's bears were a huge part of my childhood, I owe her at least this. Except when I went to the internet to find a source for the name change correction, it turns out everyone has misspelled their name. And everyone has always misspelled her name.

And then I saw the book covers. The ones in the squiggly bubble letters from the childhood. The ones I saw a hundred times a month from the formative ages of 5 to 9. The ones that every 20-something in the world will tell you read "Berenstein Bears".

Except they don't read "Berenstein". They read "Berenstain".
HERE's the link to the full blog post. It's from 2012, and his proposals for a theory on the nature of time don't quite fly in leau of the work that's been done with Larson's RS theory here on CH, on the RS2 site, as well as the Antiquatis Institute. Anybody else remember this book series and what your memory says about the spelling conundrum in question? Thoughts?
"Living is not necessary, but navigation is." --Pompey
"Navigation is necessary in order to live." --Me

Lozion
Adept
Adept

Post by Lozion » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:47 pm

joeyv23 wrote: his proposals for a theory on the nature of time don't quite fly in leau of the work that's been done with Larson's RS theory here on CH, on the RS2 site, as well as the Antiquatis Institute. Anybody else remember this book series and what your memory says about the spelling conundrum in question? Thoughts?
leau? I think you mean lieu?
In rapport we thrive, in rivalry we strive.

joeyv23
Mage
Mage

Post by joeyv23 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Lozion wrote:
joeyv23 wrote: his proposals for a theory on the nature of time don't quite fly in leau of the work that's been done with Larson's RS theory here on CH, on the RS2 site, as well as the Antiquatis Institute. Anybody else remember this book series and what your memory says about the spelling conundrum in question? Thoughts?
leau? I think you mean lieu?
Whoops. Yeah, you're right. My mistake.

Djchrismac
Adept
Adept

Post by Djchrismac » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:05 pm

joeyv23 wrote:Just saw this posted by a friend on the FB machine... I distinctly remember this, with the spelling S-T-E-I-N, rather than what the internet is lying to me and asserting that it's S-T-A-I-N..
About a year ago, Jan Berenstein passed on, as had Stan some time before. And appearing in headlines across the internet, I saw "Jan Berenstain Dies at 88".

BerenstAin.

They misspelled her name. In her obituary. Gosh, that's really just morbidly embarrassing. "Berenstain" doesn't even make sense.
When I caught this, I decided to send a correction about the article title. Jan Berenstein's bears were a huge part of my childhood, I owe her at least this. Except when I went to the internet to find a source for the name change correction, it turns out everyone has misspelled their name. And everyone has always misspelled her name.

And then I saw the book covers. The ones in the squiggly bubble letters from the childhood. The ones I saw a hundred times a month from the formative ages of 5 to 9. The ones that every 20-something in the world will tell you read "Berenstein Bears".

Except they don't read "Berenstein". They read "Berenstain".
HERE's the link to the full blog post. It's from 2012, and his proposals for a theory on the nature of time don't quite fly in leau of the work that's been done with Larson's RS theory here on CH, on the RS2 site, as well as the Antiquatis Institute. Anybody else remember this book series and what your memory says about the spelling conundrum in question? Thoughts?
Fascinating, cheers Joey. Unfortunately this was something that I never saw across the pond when I was a child but it did get me thinking about a childhood book I loved that I can't find anything about.... weird. My Mum and I are sure it was called Ivor Swop Top and it was an old illustrated children's book about a Pixar's Cars style vehicle that transformed from a fire engine to police car and other utility and emergency vehicles. I'll keep looking to see if I can find anything about it... Maybe something has changed and there's been a glitch in the matrix or we're on a different timeline but who knows, it could be mass amnesia or something else we'd never imagine.
Jones: [looks at Sallah] You said their headpiece only had markings on one side, are you absolutely sure? [Sallah nods] Belloq's staff is too long.
Jones and Sallah: They're digging in the wrong place!

joeyv23
Mage
Mage

Post by joeyv23 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:06 am

I and a few friends have taken it to our public FB pages, trying to get an idea as to how many remember which. It seems that a majority of our friends remember the spelling with 'stein'. It almost turned into an actual dispute from a couple of the people who swear it's been 'stain' the whole time and think us crazy. The pattern that I've noticed... the people that remember 'stein' are people who I would consider to have taken a red pill at some point, and those that remember 'stain' are blue pill poppers.. which makes explaining the possibility of potential timeline alterations even more of a near impossibility. I'm persistent though, I think I got the point across that even though they remember it the way it apparently is, doesn't negate the possibility that something 'strange' has actually occurred, and due to the nature of the thing, those of us that do remember 'stein' can't provide proof other than our memories. The count so far is 18 for 'stein', 3 for 'stain'. 2 of those 3 are staunch in their positions that they're right and the rest of us have memory problems, that there is no controversy, and that we belong on ATS.

Evansville64
Mage
Mage

Post by Evansville64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:22 pm

tymeflyz
Seeker
Seeker

Post by tymeflyz » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: Time and Timelines and tymeflyz
this is an interesting observation, i also suspect the internet is VERY dirty and need another good scrubbing .
i was never a fan of the stein "jew" bears, i always found it kinda strange in the name ......
but due to my own proclivity to torture the english language when and wherever possible there is NO chance my dis-stain for the necessity of personalizing a software install[s] or aka computer account has lead to my creation of - MR Stain, Mr meartstain,
Mea t stain , or any and every other type of stain,those bears would have escaped notice and been a major ridicule of mine right out of the gate.
Sooooo as just another stain {NOT Stein} polluting the grammatical landscape = Bern-stain gets the big thumbs down.

My first experience with the gullible general public that was watching TV 1995 , I'm surfing channels @ 3:00 am i hit ESPN and girls on stage in bikinis and stop there hmmm... whats up here ...going to a commercial i look away from the tv and hear the announcer say -when we return to the MISS fitness pageant .....
WTF how is this misfit-ness missed? I was dumbfounded = as i was found dumb i guess.
I realized it ripe and was my new found duty to torture EVERY word and or phrase to give up its infinite possibilities for mis-use un-use re-use con-fuse ab-use ab-tuse ad nauseam... MR stain signing off!